200g good quality chocolate, roughly chopped
200g Zandam Ricotta Cheese
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted (and extra to cover the ramekins)
1 squeeze of vanilla paste
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C (thermofan) and prepare the ramekins, by greasing it generously, topping it with a layer of cocoa powder.
- In a bain marie or a heatproof bowl over simmering water, melt the chocolate with the ricotta and cream, whisk to combine and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites for 30 seconds until frothy then gradually add the sugar and whisk until glossy peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks, sifted cocoa powder, vanilla and salt to the chocolate ricotta mixture and mix to combine.
- Fold the eggs whites into the batter with a metal spoon, be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the ramekins, filling it until just below the rim.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then top with a dusting of cocoa and serve warm with a scoop of your favourite ice cream.
VARIATION: Mini Chocolate Ricotta Tarts
This filling can easily be used in a mini tart and is quite simple to prepare.
100g good quality chocolate, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon coconut oil
250g phyllo pastry, roughly cut into 9cm squares
50g butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 180C. In a greased muffin tray, roughly layer 4 squares of phyllo pastry on top of each other in each of the muffin cups, each layer generously brushed with melted butter.