Let’s go Greek! This second recipe that is part of the collaboration with the talented Saadiyah Hendricks of Sadie’s Bubble of Yum uses Kataifi pastry (shredded Phyllo pastry) and our deliciously creamy Zandam Mascarpone. It’s fit for a High Tea or as a weekend treat, simply because you live and celebrate all of life’s moments! Visit Saadiyah’s page where she shares tried and tested halaal recipes.
Also follow her on Instagram at @sadiesbubbleofyum.
250g Kataifi Pastry, defrosted
Pinch of Saffron strands
500g Zandam Mascarpone Cheese
250ml whipping cream
50g caster sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 squeeze vanilla paste
1 teaspoon rose water
Chopped pistachio and sliced strawberries for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Prepare a cupcake tray with mini cupcake liners.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter along with the honey and saffron strands on medium heat, allowing the saffron to infuse in the butter. Allow the butter and honey to caramelise and thicken slightly before removing from the heat.
- In a bowl, loosen the kataifi pastry and pour the honey butter mixture over it. Mix thoroughly, allowing to fully coat the pastry.
- Fill the cupcake cups with the kataifi pastry, pressing them into a nest shape within each cup with an indent for the filling.
- Bake the pastry nests in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a mixer with a whisk attachment add the Zandam Mascarpone Cheese, whipping cream, vanilla and rose and start to beat on low speed.
- Scrape down the sides and slowly add the caster sugar and allow to whip into stiff peaks – be careful not to overmix.
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice ( I used a star nozzle) and pipe the mixture into the cooled pastry nests.
- Garnish with a strawberry sliced in half and chopped pistachios and store in the fridge until ready to serve.